Today’s post is a twofer. You get a War Paint Wednesday (Clarisonic idea) and a before and after. Don’t get use to the over achievement.
We took down the towel holder in the bath awhile back. It was not centered over the toilet (see the photo here) and was looking shabby. However, we didn’t expect to see this under it.
We put a fake plant in front of it for well over a year (you can see that here) and have wondered what to do. We considered “stealing” a tile from behind the toilet but the tiles are set in such strong mortar we were fearful of it. Finally, I realized a hook would cover it well and was actually needed.
I looked at many hooks online and at the usual suspects – Lowes and Home Depot. I purchased a few and returned them. As most of them were brushed nickel and we needed chrome. Additionally, most of the backs/plates were too big or too small. A few weeks went by and I happened down the bath aisle at Home Depot, the one with the towel rack collections and such, and found this.
Seriously, I thought I heard trumpets.
The screw for it was on the underneath. So, we could still insert it but it wouldn’t require the same amount of work to look drilled in. (We have no desire to drill into the tile.) It was chrome and the styling fits the style of the bath. It was simple and a rectangle. I was sure it was the same size as the spot. I grabbed two and practically ran to find The Mister.
The Mister grabbed some mounting tape before we left. We chose Scotch’s Extreme Mounting Tape. We probably could have used something less “extreme” as it doesn’t need to hold 20 pounds. However, we decided it was better to be safe with too much than risk them falling off or being shabby. We would suggest using it if you’re doing a similar project.
Luckily, I was right and the hook was almost the exact same size as the spot in the tile. So, we quickly tackled this project. The screw in the bottom of the hook kept the flat mounting plate in place.
Then, we added a small strip of mounting tape to the mounting plate.
The Mister was a little nervous with putting them on the tile. It’d be reversible if not put on correctly, but I was being pretty specific on their placement. Finally, he agreed that I should just do it. I removed the red protective lining from the tape and lined the top of the hook to the top of the spot on the tile. Then, I pressed it on. I used a good amount of pressure.
I was super jazzed and put the other one up. Though the left side of our tile did not have a spot, I felt another hook was needed for balance and to look purposeful.
Here’s how I use the hooks in “real life.” (This is not totally true as the right hook usually has a face towel on it. I was washing them when I took the photo.)
Using it as a holder for The Clarisonic has been awesome for letting it dry. It was a happy surprise. I have found that when I try to dry my Clarisonic, usually the bristles get smushed on one side and heads are not cheap. So, I’m hoping this will extend the life of them. Full disclosure: you have to hit it at the right angle for it to stay. I haven’t gotten it to stay every time. It usually take a few tries. I gotta find the sweet spot.
We’ve had the hooks up for about a month and have had no issues. I’m so glad we found the hooks and it was a simple project. It looks tremendously better. Young House Love tackled the same kind of towel bar spots in their tile here (a good fix if it’s under the window) and here (I like our fix better for by the sink. However, it’s a good idea for above the toilet.)
Read Full Post »