This weekend I made a cover/second layer/slip cover/new curtains for our bedroom. I decided to tack the curtain panels I made to the curtains we already had hanging – kind of like a slip cover. This kept me from having to line the new panels and gave the finished product some volume.
Here’s what I did to get there:
1. I purchased two king sized (112″ x 102″) flat sheets. The sheets I purchased were DVF’s Island Clover. I got them for $24.99 each at TJMaxx and made two curtains from each sheet. I like to buy flat sheets as fabric.
2. I cut the 112″ in half in order to get two curtains. Then, I ironed the hems so the rough edge was covered (aka so they were finished).
Then, I folded this once more so the unfinished edge was “tucked under.”
This is what I used as hem.
3. I used white thread, it’s what was used on the hems that already existed on the sheets, to sew the one cut side. Then, I ironed each panel.
4. I took the top of the created curtain panel and simply hung it over the curtain rod like you would hang a towel on a towel bar. To decide on the length I made my own measurement – when the wide border matched up with the top of the blinds. I made my first tack stitch there, making sure to attach the back of the panel through the hanging panel to the front of the front panel. Additionally, you need to start the tack stitch from the back so the long stings are not seen. This photo may make more sense.
I decided to not sow a rod pocket on the curtain panels. First, I couldn’t come up with a way to do this that didn’t bother with the pocket in the already existing panel I was tacking to. Second, I like the previously hung curtains and wanted to sew to it as little as possible. So, I only tacked the sides. The rest of the fabric at the top is simply folded over, once again like a towel. I made sure to space out the folds and I think it looks more legit than it is.
5. Once I tacked the top of each curtain I did a long running tack stitch (if that’s not a thing I just made it into one) down the sides.
I attached the panel to the existing and hanging panel. You can see the thread on the back as this is me finishing a tack.
This is what the back looks like.
This what a tack looks like on the front.
I made sure to put the tacks on white spaces of the pattern. Additionally, I tried to put the tacks close to the hem of the original curtain. Once again, so I did less damage to the curtain underneath.
6. I was happy with them. They puddle a bit on the floor which is better than the curtains they are attached to. The original curtains are a pretty color, but I bought them from Linens N Things when they were going out of business. Therefore, when I got them home and they were too short I had to insert a panel into the bottom of them. That was my first sewing project – I was a little over zealous. They were still a smidge too short. So, let’s admire the new curtains again.